***IMPORTANT: Aetna will be extending the Open Enrollment period for both on and off-exchange plans with an effective date of January 1, 2016 through Thursday, December 17 at 11:59 p.m. PST.***
Aetna is a large health insurance company that serves 23.5 medical consumers in all states within the U.S. Since their inception in 1853, they have gone through several changes to make them the insurance company they are today - extremely giving. Recently, in 2014, Aetna announced $1.2 million in grants that will go to support the use of digital technology. This technology will serve minority populations.
Their many accolades include being chosen as the most admired company, in the insurance and managed care category, in health care by Forbes Magazine in 2008. They won this award for three consecutive years. In 2012, they were recognized as one of the country’s most community-minded companies by “The Civic 50” survey.
Currently, Aetna offers medical, pharmacy and dental benefits as well as medical management and Medicaid services.
Aetna currently offers health plans in all 51 states, however plan availability will vary depending on where you are located.
Aetna Plan Options
The following plans are available both on and off the exchange.
- Open access plans - you can choose any doctor, no referrals needed and no Primary Care Physician (PCP) required.
- Coplay only plans - copays after the deductible, visits to PCP covered before the deductible, generic drugs covered before the deductible as well.
- High-deductible plans - preventive care benefits covered 100% before the deductible, Health Savings Account compatible options, plans available that offer PCP visit coverage at a copay before the deductible is met.
Aetna Health Savings Account Plan
Aetna offers Aetna HealthFund Health Savings Account. With this HSA you can expect a high-deductible health insurance or benefits plan, as well as a health saving account for use to pay for qualified medical expenses. Please note, HSAs are unavailable to HMO users in Illinois and California. More information about health savings account plans is available on our HSA Info page.
Aetna Member Benefits
Aetna offers health benefits exclusive for Aetna members such as:
- Healthy living & eating tips
- Smoking cessation support
- Mental Health support services
- Healthy aging tips
- Specialized healthy living tips for men, women and children
- Member Payment Estimator - you can find out more regarding costs for lab tests, doctor’s office visits, procedures and surgery in advance. This enables you to compare costs from both hospitals and doctors to make the more informed decision to maximize your savings.
- Money2 For Health - make safe and secure online health care payments, to participating specialists, doctors and hospitals.
- Ask Ann - a virtual assistant just for you! Ask Ann will answer any benefits questions, day or night.
- Find A Doctor & Find A Pharmacy - locate doctors and pharmacies in your area with a click of a button.
- Health Savings Account Savings Calculations Tools - use this tool to find out how much you can save with your HSA.
How HSA for America Can Help
If you have questions on the plans offered by Aetna, we have a team of qualified Personal Benefits Consultant who can help you. You can get an instant quote below to get started choosing a health insurance plan or you can give your Personal Benefits Consultant a call. Your Personal Benefits Consultant will guide you through the process of obtaining the right coverage for you and your family.