If you have not yet completed your application to obtain health insurance, you now probably qualify for a special enrollment period which ends on 11:59 p.m., February 22.
This special enrollment period was created and approved by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), because so many people experienced delays trying to apply last week. Below are the requirements you must meet to qualify for this special enrollment period:
- You are not currently enrolled in coverage through the Marketplace
- You have not been terminated from coverage purchased through the Marketplace during the 2015 enrollment period.
If you were “in line” trying to apply last week, but were not able to because of the technical problems on the government website, this is great news!
What You Need to Know
The special enrollment period began on February 15 and ends this Sunday, February 22. There are also certain carriers that are extending the deadline beyond February 22 for those who are not requesting subsidies. This is just a partial list, as states and carriers make last minute decisions:
- Humana – extended to February 25 in the following states: AZ, WI, KY, TX, OH
- Aetna – extended to February 20 in the following states: MD, DC, VA
- Anthem – extended to February 28 in the following states: CO, GA, IN, KY, NV, NY, OH, WI, VA
- BCBS TX – extended to February 22
What to Do
If you try to sign up via the government website at this point, you could be asking for trouble. I’d suggest you contact your HSA for America Personal Advisor to assist you through the application process. We are still very busy this week, so contact us as soon as possible at 866-749-2039 if we can be of assistance.
Latest posts by Wiley Long (see all)
- New Thinking on the Road to Price Transparency - February 27, 2017
- The Numbers Are Stunning: Healthshare Plans Are Booming - January 26, 2017
- Where Do We End Up If Obamacare Is Repealed? - December 29, 2016