Annual Open Enrollment ended on February 15, 2015 – however there is still time available for those who need extra time to complete or submit an application, which varies based upon what state you live in. If you still need to get coverage it’s absolutely essential to meet with an HSA for America Personal Advisor to ensure you find the right plan for you and your family to protect your future – while also benefiting from premium subsidies and other types of assistance that can lower your monthly premium.
Beyond just the relief of knowing you and your family are protected from potential high medical costs, you will be avoiding inevitable tax penalties that you will be required to pay if you are not covered, under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). These penalties are high – 2 percent of your income or $325 per person, whichever is greater.
Extensions in State Exchanges
You may have read in my previous blog post “Act Now – Open Enrollment Period Extended,” that the federal exchange extended its deadline to February 22, 2015 for those that were not able to finish their application because of technical issues, phone delays, or other issues. Most state exchanges are following suit by allowing consumers to complete their applications late. Please note these apply only to the states listed below.
- Covered California – If you began an application by February 15, you have until February 22.
- Colorado: Connect for Health Colorado – If you began an application by February 15, their representatives are working with consumers to complete the enrollment process this week.
- Connecticut: Access Health CT – If you began an application by February 15, their representatives are working with consumers to complete the enrollment process this week.
- District of Columbia: DC Health Link – If you began an application by February 15, but experienced technical issues, there is still time to get coverage by March 1.
- Idaho: Your Health Idaho – Those who submitted applications by the February 15 deadline have until 11:59 Mountain Standard Time on February 21 to complete the process by selecting their insurance plan and paying their premium.
- Kentucky: kynect – Consumers are permitted to complete applications and the enrollment process until February 28.
- Maryland: Maryland Health Connection – Consumers have until February 28 to complete applications for coverage to begin on April 1.
- Massachusetts: Massachusetts Health Connector – Consumers have until February 20 to complete the enrollment process as long as they were already “in line” (meaning due to technical glitches or phone delays, the application process could not be completed).
- Minnesota MNsure – Consumers who were “in line” to enroll by February 15 have until February 20 to complete the process.
- New York: NY State of Health – Consumers have until February 28 to complete the process as long as they were in line to complete their application by February 15. This coverage will begin April 1.
- Rhode Island: Healthsource RI – Due to the snowy weather, their walk-in registration centers were closed on February 15. These consumers are able to apply during the special enrollment period that runs until February 23.
- Washington state: Washington Healthplanfinder – All state residents are eligible for a special enrollment period that will run until April 23 – due the PPACA tax penalty.
What Do I Do Now?
Applying for health insurance can be extremely daunting – there are several aspects that you may not understand or have questions about. If you have questions it’s imperative that you contact a Personal Advisor today to walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Time is running out – take advantage of this opportunity right away. We are here to help! You can call us at 866-749-2039.
Latest posts by Wiley Long (see all)
- How Freedom of Choice Affects The Cost of Healthcare - August 29, 2017
- Six Favorable Changes To Health Savings Accounts Under GOP Health Bill - July 20, 2017
- June is National Safety Month - June 28, 2017